TIER 1 OF THE NEW POINTS BASED SCHEME FOR HIGHLY SKILLED MIGRANTS
The 4 subcategories of Tier 1 are:
- Exceptional talent
TIER 1 (Entrepreneurs)
Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) is for non-European migrants who want to invest in the UK by setting up or taking over, and being actively involved in the running of, 1 or more businesses here. Tier 1 (Entrepreneurs) is granted initially for 3 years.
1. 75 points for the fund. You need to have minmum £200,000 in your bank2.
2. 10 points for English Requirements
3. 10 points for Maintenance funds.
Most Tier 1 migrants will need to pass the English criteria and will need to prove that they:
- Have passed a test in English equivalent to level C1 of the Council of Europe’s Common European Framework for Language Learning (equivalent to a grade C or above at GCSE), or
- Come from a listed majority English speaking country, or
- Have taken a degree taught in English (verified using National Academic Recognition Information Centre data).
List of majority English speaking countries:-
Antigua and Barbuda.
Australia, New Zealand
The Bahamas, Barbados.
Dominica, Grenada, Guyana.
Jamaica, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines.
Trinidad and Tobago.
TIER 1 ( Investor)
The Tier 1 (Investor) category is for high-net-worth individuals who want to make a substantial financial investment in the UK. Tier 1 (Investor) is granted initial for 3 years.
You do not need a job offer to apply in this category. UKBA will assess your application based on your ability to invest £1 Million, £5 Millions or 10 Millions in the UK.
1. 75 points for attributes (Appendix A of the Immigration Rules).
Maintenance funds required for Tier 1 migrants:
- Applicant in UK: £800 In country dependants: £533
- Applicant out of UK: £2,800 Out of country dependants: £1,600
All Tier 1 migrants, will normally be given initial leave for 3 years and will be able to apply for an extension of 2 years.